Arts Students: Write to Us for the Chance to Earn a $2,000 Scholarship
Are you passionate about entertainment and the arts? Tell us your story!
The average student graduates college with somewhere around $28,950 in debt1. A good education is extremely expensive, and that goes double for the arts. On top of the usual tuition and textbook fees, art classes often stick students with overpriced supply lists.
We’re big fans of entertainment at CableTV.com, and we want to help out the next generation of storytellers. That’s why we’re offering our first-ever scholarship of $2,000 to one arts student who can really move us with their love of their craft. Read on to find out how you can apply.
Who we’re looking for
Are you a painter, writer, actor, cinematographer, animator, or costumer? Is SFX makeup your jam? Is it your dream to craft a genre-defying, interactive display that conveys your personal connection to climate change through a series of complex metaphors? We see you!
If you’re attending an undergraduate arts program at an accredited university in Fall 2022, whether majoring, minoring, or still filling out the declaration paperwork, you can apply for this scholarship.
You also have to be a US resident and 18 or older to apply. Sorry, friends, it’s a legal thing.
It’s not quite the $96,000 of every theater kid’s dream, but $2,000 can take a real load off your budget for the semester. With this scholarship, you could afford one or more of these tools:
- 256 GB, 11-inch iPad Pro with Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard: $1,325.00
- Storyboard Pro: $1,086.50
- Canon EOS Rebel SL3 DSLR Camera: $679.99
- Blick DIY Screen Printing Kit: $289.99
- Adobe Student Plan: $240.00/yr.
- Brother CS7000i Sewing and Quilting Machine: $219.99
- Set of 12 Utrecht Artists’ Oils: $199.99
- Final Draft Student: $99.99
And that’s just what we could think of in an afternoon! Be creative—use this opportunity to fund any part of your artistic process. Or you could use it on rent. Campus housing isn’t cheap, so we won’t judge.
Here’s your chance to really shine: the essay. In 200–500 words, we want you to answer the question: “How has TV and entertainment empowered you in your academic life?”
There are a lot of ways you could spin it. Maybe you always dreamed of becoming a sketch comedian after watching the premiere of Sonny with a Chance as a kid. Or maybe a late-night viewing of Inception blew your mind and inspired your career in music composition. Or it could be that you can’t pull an all-nighter without the sweet sounds of a Frasier marathon in the background. Surprise us!
The deadline is July 29, 2022. Our team of judges will select the winner after reviewing every essay. We’re looking for creativity, thoughtfulness, composition, and insight. Of course, your essay should also be grammatically correct, follow conventional spelling rules, and be proofread before submission. This is academia, after all.
We’ll notify the winner on August 8, 2022.
How to apply
All you need to do to apply is fill out the form below. Make sure you use your school email address so we know you’re legit—and don’t forget to include your essay!
Applications close July 29, 2022.
Looking for more opportunities like this one? We’re currently hiring testers to review TV and internet providers for us, so head over and see if you qualify. There could be an extra $1,000 in it for you.
1. Anne Helhoski, NerdWallet, “What’s the Average Student Loan Debt for a Bachelor’s Degree?,” April 2021. Accessed June 10, 2022.
Terms and Conditions
- The promoter of this scholarship competition is CableTV.com, whose principal office is located at 5202 W. Douglas Corrigan Way, Suite 300, Salt Lake City, UT 84116.
- Employees of CableTV.com’s parents, affiliates, and subsidiaries, participating advertising and promotion agencies, and scholarship suppliers (and members of their immediate family and/or those living in the same household of each such employee) are not eligible.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old, or otherwise have reached the age of majority under the laws of the state where they reside, to participate.
- Only residents of the United States are eligible to participate.
- VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
- There is NO ENTRY FEE AND NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER THIS COMPETITION. Any purchase or consideration otherwise given by applicants will not improve the chances of winning.
- Details for entering the scholarship competition are available at https://www.cabletv.com/blog/arts-scholarship. Individuals may enter to win by clicking on the participation link on CableTV.com’s website. Upon clicking the participation link, applicants will be asked to provide their name and contact information so that CableTV.com can notify the winner of the results.
- Closing date for entry will be July 29, 2022, at 11:59:59pm MST. After this date no further entries to the scholarship competition will be permitted.
- Odds of winning are based on the total number of applicants. Only one recipient will be selected from the entire pool of eligible applicants.
- Winners will be chosen by a panel of judges appointed by CableTV.com.
- The winner will be notified by email or letter within 35 days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the scholarship within 14 days of notification, CableTV.com reserves the right to withdraw the scholarship from the initial selected recipient and select a replacement recipient.
- CableTV.com will notify the winner when and where the scholarship can be collected.
- The winner will receive a one-time $2,000 scholarship to be applied to qualified expenses.
- The scholarship is not transferable.
- The recipient agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material and agrees to sign an image release prior to receiving the scholarship. Any personal data relating to the recipient, or any other applicants, will be used solely in accordance with current federal and state data protection legislation.
- The recipient’s name will be available 35 days after closing date by sending a stamped addressed envelope to the following address:
5202 W. Douglas Corrigan Way, Suite 300
Salt Lake City, UT 8411
- CableTV.com’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the scholarship competition and the scholarship will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- CableTV.com accepts no responsibility for entries not received for whatever reason.
- CableTV.com reserves the right to cancel or amend the scholarship competition and these Terms and Conditions at any time and will seek to notify applicants as soon as possible about any material changes to the scholarship competition.
- CableTV.com is not responsible for inaccurate scholarship details supplied to any applicants by any third party connected with this scholarship competition.
- The scholarship competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by Utah law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Utah.
- Entry into the scholarship competition will be deemed as acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.