Tell Us Who’ll Win Game of Thrones and We’ll Send You to Westeros
Winter is coming this spring as the eighth and final season of dragons-and-drama epic Game of Thrones kicks off Sunday, April 14 on HBO. One burning question remains: who will sit upon the Iron Throne when it’s all over?
CableTV.com has another question: What’s in it for you?
Plenty, if you’re up to the challenge. We’re going to award one GoT superfan $1,000 toward a trip to Westeros (a Game of Thrones filming location, that is) for putting their knowledge of the Seven Kingdoms to the test with an informed prediction of the final outcome.
We’re looking for the best theories as to who will ultimately win the Game of Thrones from the most passionate followers of the series. All you have to to is sum up your theory in a brief essay.
Who can play?
Anyone at least 18 years old can enter—Game of Thrones is rated TV MA, after all. The players we’re looking for will have an unshakeable grasp of Westeros mythology, as well as an ironclad theory as to which GoT character will ultimately rule Westeros from the Iron Throne.
CableTV.com will choose contestants to represent individual GoT characters based on the strength of their pitch. Many might pick the seemingly unkillable Jon Snow, for example, but we’ll single out the best-written, most clearly laid out essay to represent the character’s possible victory in the battle for Westeros.
The pitch competition for lesser-seen characters like The Mountain or The Hound will be slimmer, but their paths to victory are also odds-defying longshots. Choose your battle wisely.
We’ll also take your social media following and activity level into consideration but, ultimately, we’re just looking for hardcore Game of Thrones fans. Anyone can play, but only one will emerge victorious.
How do you win?
Simple. Survive the season and have your chosen character take the Iron Throne. You can pick anyone, though some contenders, as we mentioned, have a better chance than others. According to betting news outlet OddsShark.com, here are the top 28 Game of Thrones characters who could potentially win it all:
- Daenerys Targaryen
- Jon Snow
- Daenerys & Jon’s Child
- Bran Stark
- Sansa Stark
- Arya Stark
- Tyrion Lannister
- Cersei Lannister
- Jaime Lannister
- The Night King
- Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish
- Samwell Tarly
- Euron Greyjoy
- Jaqun H’ghar
- Jorah Mormont
- Daario Naharis
- Beric Dondarrion
- The Hound
- Theon Greyjoy
- Yara Greyjoy
- Tormund Giantsbane
- The Mountain
- No one
You’ll notice we’ve thrown in our own wildcard at the end, a scenario where no one takes the Throne. This could mean breaking up the kingdoms in favor of self-governance or, more grimly, everyone dies. Any theory is viable, but be prepared to back yours up in writing.
How to apply
First, pick a Game of Thrones character from our list above or add your own (maybe you’re a fan of Ghost the direwolf, we get it). Then, explain yourself. Tell us why and how your pick will win the Iron Throne in a 500-words-or-less essay.
Maybe you have an analytical insight, or just a gut feeling, or perhaps a three-eyed raven told you. Whatever it is, write it down and convince us.
Be as detailed in your theory as you like, just be quicker about writing it than George R.R. Martin—we have only a few weeks before the season 8 premiere. Deadline for entry is Wednesday, April 10.
Onward to Westeros
When you play the Game of Thrones, quoth Cersi, you win or you die. The stakes for CableTV.com’s contest are a bit less severe, so don’t lose your head (sorry, Ned).
Give us your best argument for the ultimate Iron Throne victor, and then follow the final chapter of Game of Thrones along with us when season 8 premieres Sunday, April 14 on HBO. We’ll contact the winner the week after the GoT finale on Sunday, May 19—start packing for Westeros now!
The Terms and Conditions of the competition and the prize for the winner are as follows:
- The promoter of this competition is CableTV.com whose principal office is located at 5202 W. Douglas Corrigan Way, Salt Lake City, Utah 84116.
- Employees of CableTV.com or their family members or anyone else connected in any way with the competition or helping to set up the competition shall not be permitted to enter the competition.
- Persons must be at least 18 years old, or otherwise have reached the age of majority under the laws of the state where you reside, in order to participate.
- Only residents of the United States are eligible to participate.
- VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
- There is NO ENTRY FEE AND NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER THIS COMPETITION. Any purchase or consideration otherwise given by entrants will not improve one’s chances of winning.
- Route to entry for the competition and details of how to enter are available via www.CableTV.com. Individuals may enter to win by clicking on the participation link on CableTV.com’s website. Upon clicking the participation link, entrants will be asked to provide their name and contact information so that CableTV.com can notify the winner of the results.
- Closing date for entry will be April 10, 2019. After this date, no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
- Only one submission will be selected from the entire pool of eligible entries to represent each major character from Game of Thrones. CableTV.com will make the selections for each character based on a number of factors, including essay submission, participant’s passion for Game of Thrones, social media following and activity level, and any other factors CableTV.com may consider in its sole discretion. Whichever participant’s character takes the Iron Throne at the end of the series wins the competition. In the event of a tie where multiple characters share the Iron Throne, CableTV.com will select a winner using a random drawing.
- The winner will be notified by email and/or letter within 7 days at the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 10 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
- The winner specifically acknowledges that the welcome package shall be provided and fulfilled by CableTV.com, and that the contest is in no way affiliated with HBO or Game of Thrones.
- CableTV.com will notify the winner when and where the prize can be collected.
- The winner will receive a check for $1000 addressed to the winner.
- No cash alternative to the prize will be offered. The prize is not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and CableTV.com reserves the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
- The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current federal and state data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
- The winner’s name will be available 28 days after closing date by sending a stamped addressed envelope to the following address:
5202 W. Douglas Corrigan Way
Salt Lake City, Utah 84116
- CableTV.com’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Bill Frost has been a journalist and TV reviewer since the 4:3 aspect ratio ‘90s. His pulse-pounding prose has been featured in The Salt Lake Tribune, Pacific Northwest Inlander, Salt Lake City Weekly, and elsewhere. He’s currently a streaming TV columnist at SLUGMag.com. When not cranking out quips and bingeing MST3K, Bill hosts and produces the TV Tan podcast—it’s about television, of course.