Your State’s Favorite Food/Cooking Show (Map)
What foodie fare does your state love to binge-watch? Let’s find out.
Craving a little foodie TV? You’re not alone. The entire nation has a taste for shows that cook up all manner of fare from the sweet and savory to the strange and scientific. Come take a culinary tour of America that shows the true flavors of each state with our map of favorite food shows. We ascertained each state’s favorite indulgence by analyzing the top 100 food and cooking shows and cross-referencing it with data from Google Trends from the past year. Our team stirred the numbers, baked them at 350, and pulled out a range of delicious data on all things foodie, state by state.
|Arkansas||Top Chef Masters|
|California||Made in Spain|
|Delaware||Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution|
|District of Columbia||DC Cupcakes|
|Florida||Top Secret Recipe|
|Hawaii||Diners, Drive-ins and Dives|
|Idaho||Next Great Baker|
|Illinois||Mexico: One Plate At A Time|
|Kansas||My Kitchen Rules|
|Maryland||Spain … On the Road Again|
|Massachusetts||America’s Test Kitchen|
|Michigan||The F Word|
|Mississippi||30 Minute Meals|
|Missouri||Cook Yourself Thin|
|Montana||The Wild Within|
|Nevada||Man v. Food|
|New Hampshire||The Chew|
|New Jersey||Cake Boss|
|New Mexico||Giada at Home|
|New York||Baking with Julia|
|North Carolina||Martha Bakes|
|North Dakota||The Next Iron Chef|
|Ohio||The F Word|
|Oklahoma||The Pioneer Woman|
|Oregon||Come Dine with Me|
|Pennsylvania||Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares|
|Rhode Island||America’s Test Kitchen|
|South Carolina||The Next Food Network Star|
|Tennessee||The Next Food Network Star|
|Texas||Top Secret Recipe|
|Vermont||Ace of Cakes|
|Virginia||The F Word|
|West Virginia||Hotel Hell|
|Wisconsin||Andrew Zimmern’s Bizarre World|
|Wyoming||Worst Cooks in America|
Taste of HomeYou’ll notice that folks love to serve up a side of TV that reflects their hometown. Whether it’s because we enjoy hearing homespun accents or seeing places we recognize, it’s obvious many states have a taste for the familiar:
- Connecticut natives adore Barefoot Contessa Ina Garten, who whips up meals for her husband Jeffrey in their house in the Hamptons.
- Louisianans welcome Cajun cuisine with a kick from their hometown hero, Emeril Lagasse, who hosted Emeril Live.
- Locals in Massachusetts and Rhode Island both prefer fare whipped up in America’s Test Kitchen, filmed just outside of Boston.
- District of Columbia residents satisfy their sweet tooths by watching DC Cupcakes, starring sisters from Georgetown.
- New Jersey faithfuls bake it like a boss with Buddy Valastro, a New Jersey native who hosts the reality show Cake Boss.
- Folks in Indiana devour facts about junk food on Unwrapped, hosted by native Hoosier Marc Summers.
Regional FlavorSome regions of the United States lean toward certain types of cuisine when it comes to their favorite cooking shows. These states have viewing habits that partner together to create regional trends of foodie flavor.
The Mountainous West
The Gulf Coast
Florida and Texas like to mimic each other with Top Secret Recipes, a show that cooks up copycat recipes from some of our favorite restaurant eats.
Maine and Pennsylvania are caught in Kitchen Nightmares together, where chef Gordon Ramsay presides over a reality shows designed to rescue failing restaurants.
Kentucky and Indiana like to chow down on the facts behind junk food on Unwrapped, a show that blends science, food, and an unbearable craving for French fries.
Cooking up a ClichéA few states have definitely crossed into stereotype territory with their favorite TV fodder. Cooking TV in these locales seems to sum up a regional cliché:
- Alaskans’ taste for Cutthroat Kitchen reminds us that in the wilderness, it’s all about survival of the fittest.
- Circle up the wagons round the TV! Oklahoma locals get folksy flavor with The Pioneer Woman.
- Montanans have discovered a craving for The Wild Within that mirrors the wide, open spaces of this home state.
- Locals in California’s wine country gets inspiration from the wine, travel and tapas featured on Made in Spain.
- Missouri is one of the top 10 states for obesity in America, so it’s no surprise residents there are binging on Cook Yourself Thin.
- Does Wyoming have the Worst Cooks in America? Several major publications agree the state is at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to quality cuisine.
Kaz is a writer, blogger and avid consumer of anything with a subtitle. She may or may not be obsessed with Outlander.