CenturyLink internet FAQ
How do I change my CenturyLink Wi-Fi password?
Here’s how to change your Wi-Fi password if you have a newer CenturyLink modem and it’s already connected to a device:
- Open a browser window and go to http://192.168.0.1.
- Log in with the Admin username and password. You can find the default information on the modem sticker. If you used a custom username and passphrase, log in with those.
- Under “Wireless Setup,” choose “2.4 GHz” (see upper left-hand corner).
- Under “Wireless Security,” choose the SSID you want to edit from the drop-down menu.
- In the second drop-down menu (“Security Type”), select desired security type (it’ll more than likely involve WPA2).
- In the third drop-down menu (“Encryption Type”), select “both.”
- Under “Enter security key/passphrase,” choose the default passphrase or enter your own. Custom passphrases must have 8–63 characters. You may use any letter from A–Z, any number from 0–9, and blank spaces.
- Hit “Apply.”
If these steps don’t work, check instructions for older CenturyLink modems.
How do I cancel CenturyLink internet?
To cancel your CenturyLink internet or home phone service, call 1-800-244-1111 between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., Monday–Friday.
Expect a CenturyLink representative to try to keep your business by offering alternatives to cancellation. Sometimes those customer-retention deals are pretty decent, so there’s no harm in listening. But if you’re sure you want to cancel, stay strong. No means no.
What modems are compatible with CenturyLink?
At the moment, CenturyLink supports 31 different modems from manufacturers like Actiontec, Adtran, Calix, Cisco, D-Link, Technicolor, Westrell, and ZyXEL. We’ve narrowed down the list with our guide to “The Best CenturyLink-Compatible Modems.”
If you’d like modem help from a real human, call CenturyLink at 1-877-837-5738 or chat with tech support.
Can I use my own router with CenturyLink?
Yes, you may use your own router with CenturyLink service, as long as it’s compatible. If you don’t already have one, and you also need a DSL modem, we recommend some great modem-router combos in our guide to “The Best CenturyLink-Compatible Modems.”
Does CenturyLink have a data cap?
CenturyLink plans have a 1 TB data cap on residential DSL plans with no overage fees. Business-class and residential 1G plans enjoy unlimited data.
How do I set up my CenturyLink voicemail?
To set up your CenturyLink voicemail, use the following steps:
- If you have your welcome letter, dial the retrieval number.
- If you don’t have your welcome letter, you can find it by dialing 1-800-669-7676. Alternatively, press *98 from your home phone to continue setup.
- Follow voice prompts.
- Create a 4–15 digit password.
- Record your name so that callers know they’ve reached the right person.
- Choose from two pre-recorded voicemail greetings or record a personalized message.
- You’re done. Now sit by your phone and wait to see if anyone loves you.