Your State’s Favorite Rom-Com Movie
Which Rom-Com Is Your State in Love With?
As the winter of our discontent settles in, Americans turn to love to keep us warm. Viewers definitely have a thing for the quirky relationships that are standard romantic comedy fare, where happy endings come with a side of adorable. Here at CableTV.com, we’re also totally into laughable love stories, and we wondered if certain parts of the country are more obsessed with some titles than others.
What rom-com is the United States lovesick over? Apparently, we’re turning green with envy over Pretty in Pink, the throwback Molly Ringwald classic that stokes our 1980s nostalgia. It’s the belle of the ball, outshining other popular titles like Pretty Woman and About A Boy across large sections of the country.
How’d we arrive at which movie most states have been bitten with the love bug for? After analyzing this list from Google of the most popular romantic comedies, we cross-referenced it with Google Trends data to determine which movie folks in your state were snuggling up to.
Further digging into the data that romantic comedy preferences follow other viewing trends pretty closely. Take a closer look at what your state is lovesick for and why.
- Washington stays up late for Sleepless in Seattle.
- Alaska put a ring on The Proposal.
- It’s always 500 Days of Summer in California.
- Pennsylvania wins at the game of love with Silver Linings Playbook.
- For Hawaii, it feels like the first time every time in 50 First Dates.
- New Yorkers are always ready to check if You’ve Got Mail.
- Alabama brings it home with Sweet Home Alabama.
- Large parts of the South and Midwest keep it traditional with Pretty in Pink.
- The east coast has a preference for movies from across the pond.
- West Virginia, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Indiana are all crazy About a Boy.
- Love Actually really is everywhere in Vermont.
- Maryland is nuts about 4 Weddings and a Funeral.
- Bridget Jones’s Diary is a bestseller in D.C.
- The Mountain West likes their romance with a side of sassy and snarky.
- Utah’s got the method for How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
- The Princess Bride is Idaho’s fantasy escape.
- Wyoming can’t help but fall in love with 10 Things I Hate About You.
- Maine, which has the oldest median age in the United States, goes old school with It Happened One Night.
- Oregon keeps it weird with Amélie, a quirky French film about an off-beat romance.
- South Dakota, which rates in the top five highest birth rates in the U.S., gets Knocked Up a little more often.
Are you head over heels with the favorite romantic comedy from your state? Share the love.
|Alabama||Sweet Home Alabama|
|Arizona||Pretty in Pink|
|Arkansas||About a Boy|
|California||500 Days of Summer|
|Delaware||Silver Linings Playbook|
|District of Columbia||Bridget Jones's Diary|
|Hawaii||50 First Dates|
|Idaho||The Princess Bride|
|Indiana||About a Boy|
|Iowa||10 Things I Hate About You|
|Kansas||Pretty in Pink|
|Kentucky||Pretty in Pink|
|Louisiana||Pretty in Pink|
|Maine||It Happened One Night|
|Maryland||Four Weddings and a Funeral|
|Massachusetts||As Good as It Gets|
|Michigan||The 40-Year-Old Virgin|
|Minnesota||Pretty in Pink|
|Mississippi||About a Boy|
|Missouri||Pretty in Pink|
|Montana||As Good as It Gets|
|Nebraska||Pretty in Pink|
|Nevada||Pretty in Pink|
|New Hampshire||Groundhog Day|
|New Jersey||Along Came Polly|
|New Mexico||Pretty in Pink|
|New York||You've Got Mail|
|North Carolina||Pretty in Pink|
|North Dakota||Say Anything…|
|Oklahoma||Pretty in Pink|
|Pennsylvania||Silver Linings Playbook|
|Rhode Island||There's Something About Mary|
|South Carolina||Knocked Up|
|South Dakota||Knocked Up|
|Tennessee||Pretty in Pink|
|Texas||Pretty in Pink|
|Utah||How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days|
|Virginia||He's Just Not That into You|
|Washington||Sleepless in Seattle|
|West Virginia||About a Boy|
|Wisconsin||Pretty in Pink|
|Wyoming||10 Things I Hate About You|