How to Program Your DIRECTV Remote
We've made a step-by-step guide will help you pair, program, and reset your DIRECTV remote and receiver.
How to reset your DIRECTV remote
If your DIRECTV remote stopped working, a simple reboot may resolve the issue. Here’s how to reset your DIRECTV remote control.
- Locate the reset button. This is a small red button located inside the access card door, or, on some models, on the side of the receiver. No button? Go to step 3.
- Push the button. Wait 15 seconds. Go to step 4.
- Unplug your receiver from the wall outlet. Wait 15 seconds, then plug it back in.
- Try your remote.
If that doesn’t work, try the following:
- Move anything that could be blocking your remote’s infrared light from reaching the receiver’s sensor. Even the glass door on your entertainment center can cause interference.
- Using a microfiber or other lint-free cloth, wipe away any greasy fingerprints or nacho cheese streaks from your remote’s emitter and the receiver’s sensor.
- Keep your receiver and remote out of direct sunlight. Also, try turning down the brightness on your TV. Bright light can interfere with your remote’s signal.
First, which remote do you have?
If you have a DIRECTV Ready TV, that’s another pairing process that we spelled out below, too. We’ll start with the universal remote.
How to program a DIRECTV universal remote
Your DIRECTV universal remote control can control up to four devices, including DVD/Blu-ray players, DVRs, gaming consoles, soundbars, and TVs. Here’s how to program your remote for both SD and HD receivers and how to change your TV’s input source.
Program a DIRECTV universal remote for an HD DVR or HD receiver
- Press Menu on your DIRECTV remote.
- On the on-screen menu, select Parental Favs & Setup > System Setup > Remote or Remote Control > Program Remote.
- Select the device (DVD/Blu-ray player, DVR, gaming console, soundbar, TV, etc.) that you want the remote to control. If your device isn’t listed, enter a DIRECTV remote code. Find them by using this code lookup tool.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.
Program a DIRECTV universal remote for a standard DVR or SD receiver
Great news! You can use the exact steps above to program your DIRECTV universal remote control for an SD receiver.
Change your TV’s input source using the DIRECTV universal remote
- Slide the mode switch (located at the top of the remote) to TV.
- Hold down the Mute and Select buttons at the same time. Let go when the green light flashes twice.
- Enter 960. The green light should flash twice again.
- Slide the mode switch to the DIRECTV logo.